MODUS Engineering has an opening for a lighting designer in our Des Moines office.
- Architecture or Interior Design bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 1 year of lighting experience
- Knowledgeable in Revit, AGI or Elumtools, Microsoft Suite, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Project responsibilities will depend on project and experience level
- Responsible for electric lighting and lighting controls design.
- Works with the design team to select appropriate light fixtures for project with respect to cost, performance and aesthetics.
- Understand lighting project scope, design resources, and deliverables to meet project budget.
- Produces renderings using pictures and software manipulation tools to create conceptual lighting images.
- Hand sketches to show lighting intent, installation methods and overall look.
- Understands luminaire construction, design, maintenance, efficiency and optical characteristics.
- Experience with the basics of architecture, interior design and landscape architecture and construction.
- Proficient in researching and articulating concepts with white papers, reports, and memos.
- Prepares Energy Code Compliance documentation for the lighting portions of the project.
- Strong verbal, written and graphic communication skills for both internal and external clients.
- Client communication is critical to explain and direct lighting designs with our architectural clients.
- Must constantly coordinate with the Project Manager.
- Prepares design layouts, fixture schedules, specifications, and calculations with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge and understanding of the goals of sustainable design criteria such as LEED, Living Building Challenge, WELL Building Standards, and Biophilia.
- Understanding of the physiology and psychology of the human visual system and designs using their understanding of how it functions with lighting.
- Understanding of the details of every light source and its benefits and drawbacks in almost any given situation.
- Attends national conferences and seminars ranging from electric and daylighting design, to photobiology, to product innovation and sustainable practices.
- Has a working knowledge of major light fixture manufacturers, industry trends in lighting, and continues to grow and keeping up to date in the field.
- Can balance aesthetic design, energy design, health, psychological benefits, etc., as they relate to each individual project, client, climate, etc.
- Strong comprehension of how lighting integrates with all trades including MEP and architecture by understanding where the various parts are placed and how they will interact and coordinate with each other.
- Responsible for the lighting control intent and control specifications in conjunction with project Electrical Engineer.
- Organizes and facilitates mock-ups with Clients.