We are seeking an experienced and motivated Technology Design Engineer to work in a flexible role that includes engineering, design, and specification of building technology and communication systems for Healthcare, Education, and Hospitality Projects. MODUS’s Technology Design department specializes in designing and specifying structured cabling systems, audio/visual systems, security systems, and other Low Voltage (LV) systems.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving and analytical skills are required. Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in support of multiple projects are essential.
- Ability to work virtually and communicate efficiently across geographies with multiple project teams.
- Thorough knowledge of BICSI, NICET, and AVIXA (CTS) standards and other NFPA codes.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of the following:
- Structured Cabling Systems (Voice/ Data Cabling)
- Audio/Visual Systems (Background Music/ Overhead Paging Systems, Conference/ Ballroom/ Boardroom A/V and control systems)
- Security Systems (Surveillance Systems, Physical Access Control Systems, Intrusion Detection Systems)
- Fire Alarm Systems (NFPA 72 codes, NFPA 101, International Building Codes)
- Other Communication Technology Systems (Nurse Calls, Distributed Antenna Systems, Real-Time Location Service System, etc)
- Ability to attend client meetings with client stakeholders and architects to discuss project requirements, design concepts, and system expectations
- Edit and develop scope of work narratives (Basis of Design, etc.)
- Develop equipment room sizes during the SD and DD phases
- Understand the proper scope of SD, DD, and CD-level documents – and deliver appropriate documentation
- REVIT and AutoCAD proficient
- Prepare calculations of equipment electrical loads and cooling loads
- Edit low voltage specifications with limited input from senior staff to reflect project requirements
- Coordinate with vendors to determine specification requirements for applications
- Read and interpret related industry codes and standards (e.g. NEC, FGI), and incorporate them into designs
- Prepare floor plans showing low-voltage device layouts, cable pathways, equipment, etc.
- Prepare system riser diagrams with limited input from senior staff
- Select and schedule equipment with limited oversight from senior staff
- Performs field verification and take-offs of existing systems for renovation projects.
- Coordinate with other disciplines (MEP, Architectural, Structural, etc.)
- Understand and properly apply existing MODUS details relevant to projects
- Apply risk management procedures to minimize MODUS’s and client’s exposure to problems.
- Work with other engineers, PMs, and clients to meet scheduled milestones on multiple projects
- Understand work planning and manage the design process to the available hours in the work plan
- Respond to RFPs for projects, and accurately review submittals with limited input from senior staff
- Manage and deliver revisions (ASI’s, etc) and sketches according to proper numbering convention
- Inspect installation of systems for completeness and operability
- Solve installation problems with low-voltage electrical systems.
- Travel to project sites
The Skills and Knowledge You Bring
- Minimum of five years of design experience in Healthcare, Education, and/or Hospitality projects
- BS in architecture or engineering discipline from an accredited school, or equivalent experience
- BICSI RCDD certification desired
- Ability to travel to client meetings and project sites for walk thru activities (local and national locations)
- Ability to work virtually cross-office geographies with multiple teams
The ideal candidate will also satisfy the following requirements and qualifications:
- At least 3 years of field experience in Project Management
- Knowledge of the Low Voltage / Communication industry and products
- Strong computer skills with Revit and SpecLink
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask while staying organized
- Positive customer service skills
What MODUS Offers
Our vision is to improve society through the design of safe, sustainable, and innovative buildings. We accomplish this by delivering high-performing, innovative building solutions by integrating client’s objectives with our staff of exceptional consulting engineers. Our promise is to offer you a challenging career in a positive and dynamic work environment, and it’s a promise we take seriously.
Join a dynamic team with MODUS that provides you with innovative projects, the capacity to develop your career, a full range of benefits, flexible working hours, and much more! When you explore what MODUS has to offer, you’ll find exponential possibilities.
We offer competitive pay, great benefits, and a collaborative team environment. For more information about MODUS, please visit our website at www.modus-eng.com. To be considered for our openings, send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements** to [email protected].